Sunday, May 9, 2010

Back to Work

Hello, everyone, this is Doug. You don't normally hear from me but don't worry, you'll have Tammy back next blog. I wanted to tell you all about my next step. As Tammy mentioned in a recent blog, she and I went to Ft. Lauderdale on April 23rd so that I could have an interview. Well, the interview went well and I was offered the job and start tomorrow as a Partner in a firm called Tatum LLC!

Tatum is the country’s leading consulting firm focused on the Office of the CFO. Tatum acts as trusted financial advisor to middle market companies in the US and Latin America, offering consulting, advisory and interim management services. Tatum focuses on optimizing the Office of the CFO, helping organizations facing challenges or transition due to:
• Performance issues
• Mergers, acquisitions or exit
• Rapid growth
• Infrastructure constraints
• Leadership skill or capacity gap

Tatum has 37 offices nationwide and I will be located in the office that serves southern Florida. The office is in Ft. Lauderdale but as a consultant I will either work from home (the boat) or at the client's office. I will not have a specific Tatum office. Most of the clients are in the area between Ft. Lauderdale and Boca Raton.

As most of you know already, I spent the majority of my career as a CFO in various high tech companies in the DC area, the Boston area and in Montreal. That background, including three initial public offerings, a number of acquisitions and several restructurings made this position with Tatum possible and will let me do those types of strategic events but as a consultant now instead of as an employee.

I'm very excited about this opportunity. Not only will it be a fun job, if one must have a job, but Tammy and I will get to explore and get to know a whole new area of the country. We plan to spend the first month of our time here docked at the Dinner Key Marina in Coconut Grove, just south of Miami on Biscayne Bay across from Key Biscayne. Coconut Grove is a cool little town that tries to keep its own personality even though it is technically part of Miami and carries a Miami address. After Coconut Grove, who knows, we may move up the coast toward Ft. Lauderdale. The final destination will be dependent on where Tammy ends up working.

If any of our cruising buddies are passing through, please look us up. If any of our other friends end up in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, be sure and give us a call. Remember, we're only 3 hours from Key West!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations and good luck! It sounds like you're in for a good experience, living and working from Gypsies and still pulling an income.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much is the pontoon boat and slip you're going to need for a work wardrobe? ;-)

    ReplyDelete